Trailer

[Photo by Murice D. Miller / Moab Sun News]

A Walnut Lane residence was deemed “completely destroyed” by first responders after it ignited on July 3. The Moab City Police Department, Grand County Sheriff’s Office, San Juan County Sheriff’s Office and Utah Highway Patrol responded to 250 Walnut Lane on a report of a structure fire at about 10:30 p.m. Upon arrival they discovered a mobile home engulfed in flames. Officers cleared the trailer to ensure no one was inside and began to coordinate an effective response. The residence and an unattached outbuilding were completely destroyed, police said in a press release on July 4. Power lines were damaged and required stabilization by Rocky Mountain Power. There are no reported injuries to civilians or emergency responders. A subject seen running from the area as the fire broke out has been contacted and interviewed by a police detective. Based on his statements and evidence at the scene, investigators believe that an extension cord may have been overloaded by multiple appliances, causing it to become hot enough to spark the fire.